Men's Life Today: Expert Q+A
Is there any way to prevent the flu when the seasons change?
The best way to prevent the flu is to get the flu shot. The CDC recommends that everyone older than 6 months of age receive the vaccine -- so I’d assume that includes you. Since the flu bug is most active in colder months, the best time to get immunized is in the fall; it protects you throughout the entire year, so you’ll be covered when spring hits. But you can still do it now.
If you’re totally needle-averse, here are some other ways to stave off the flu:
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Don’t touch your eyes and nose, since this is how the virus spreads.
- The flu can stay active on objects such as exercise equipment, so never touch your eyes and nose at the gym, and always clean off the apparatus before and after using.
- Cover your mouth and nose when sneezing and coughing.
- And (hello!) avoid people with the flu or with flu-like symptoms.